Top 100 Girls' Names
Where Do the Top 100 Names for Girls Come From?Let's begin with a little background on the top 100 baby names. When a baby is born in the United States, the parents or hospital where the baby was born send paperwork to the Social Security Administration (SSA). The SSA is a governmental agency of the United States and is responsible for keeping track of every American citizen and issuing each person a social security number. Since the SSA issues social security numbers, they also keep a database of every person born in the United States. The top 100 baby names are compiled from these records.
Finding the Perfect Name for Your Little GirlThere are several questions you should ask yourself when searching for the perfect name for your little girl. Some of these can include:
- Are there any family members you would like to name your daughter after?
- Are there any baby girls' names that you already like?
- Is there a letter of the alphabet you would like the name to start with?
- Is there a certain meaning you'd like to incorporate into the name?
- Is there a particular country's heritage (origin) you would like to represent?
It's also important to remember that the name you choose can have different variations as your daughter grows. For example, a girl named Elizabeth might be called Lizzie as a child and Liz or Beth as an adult.
Searching the Top 100 Names With eMedTV's BabyBuilderAs you start to form your list of things you want in your daughter's name, it can help to start by searching the top 100 girls' names with eMedTV's BabyBuilder name creation tool. This tool is a quick and easy way to search over 75,000 baby names. BabyBuilderTM also provides the origin and variations of each name, as well as an option to search by first name meanings.
BabyBuilder allows you to search the top 100 names in any given year, and also shows you a list of the popular names in several countries. BabyBuilder also provides each name's origin, meaning, and different variations and will list the top 100 names for both genders by year -- all the way back to 1880.
To access the top 100 names for girls, simply click this BabyBuilder link and follow the instructions below:
- On the BabyBuilder main page, click on the "Girls" tab, then "Top 100." This will bring up the most recent year available.
- Scroll through the "Year" tab (on the left of the screen) and then select the desired year. A list of the top 100 names for that year will instantly appear. BabyBuilder automatically searches for names in the United States, but you can also view names from several other countries.
- As you explore the different names that appeal to you, click on each name to learn its meaning, origin, and variations.
As you look at the top 100 baby girl names, you may find it interesting to see how certain names have cycled through popularity over the years. You might even want to see how popular your name was the year you were born.
Note: If you come across a name you like, but would prefer something a little more unique and less commonly used, be sure to look at the variations of the name. These may give you some good ideas.